Thursday, October 30, 2008

Educating Teachers of Math, Science, and Technology

Teachers of math, science, and technology are ones that need to stay on top of current research and topics. Math, science, and technology are the subjects that constantly change the world. Being an up and coming science teacher, I will need to be keeping up with new research in chemistry and also in teaching methods. This will really help me communicate with my students and show them connections with the real world. Authentic connections are the most important and effective ideas that students can have. Keeping with the current media will illustrate that chemistry is not something you just learn in school. This semester I have been using several new technologies. Blogs and wikis are two things I'm using in my classes. Refer back to my blogs and wikis blog for applications. Overall, I am glad that I am using new technologies. I can see the applications with my classes and gives me ideas for future uses in the classroom.

When it comes to educating math, science, and technology teachers, I have to say their methodology of presenting information is in a predictable sequence: new material, guided practice, independent practice, and assignment. Though it may be boring and tedious to some, I enjoy this classical method. In the changing world in the field of teaching, this method is not effective. In order for these teachers to become more effective, new methods need to be introduced. Cooperative groups are one option. Groups give students a change to teach each other and interact with others to facilitate connections. I like cooperative groups. It really gets me involved and a chance to work with others towards a common goal. Another technique utilizing a long term project. I have never experienced any sort of long term projects in my educational career. One idea is having students pretend to live on their own and budget and manage money. Then everyday have something unexpected happen where student would have to alter their balances. This idea may not work for upper level students but would definitely work with 7th or 8th graders. Any activity away from the classical sequence described above would help students.

1 comment:

Cathy Ezrailson, Science Education, University of South Dakota said...

Balance is the key. Good posts, Danny. See you on Monday.
Dr. E