Thursday, October 23, 2008

Wikis and Blogs

Wikis and blogging are very new to me. I generally don't use computers if I'm not doing something for school. Nonetheless I see the potential for a very educational tool. I have yet to use a wiki, but if it is anything like the name implies, it would realizable Wikipedia. Sure enough it does. The idea where you can post your work on wiki spaces is a pretty good idea. Saving trees, getting quicker feedback, and making quick changes are some of the advantages. In a class situation, this is a great tool for group work. Instead of finding a time where everyone can meet, all group members have instant assess and can revise it at anytime. Of course students have to do it in a timely manner. I will be using a wiki space to document my internship. So I will be a master at the end of the semester.

Blogging is what I am doing now. Posting comments and thoughts are basically the mode of communication here. Unlike a wiki, blogs can't be edited by others. In my opinion, a blog is a tool that records your thoughts at a given time. Giving a piece of your mind if you will. There are two applications that come to mind. The first is what I'm doing right now. Blogging about different discussions is a great way for students to express comments to a question. Say that you give an open ended question for your students to think about. Instead of coming to class the next day, why not blog about it? One important aspect of this example is that all students are giving input. My past experiences with questions to be thought about resulted in only a couple of students sharing the next day. Again, a great way for students to show input and thought. The second application is for English class. I thought it would be interesting for students to write stories every few days and see how they have improved over the course of the class. Sort of making the blog a electronic portfolio. It would beneficial for students to see their development: writing style, grammar, word choice, conventions, and so forth. I have given two applications for blogging and are not limited to just these two.

No comments: