Tuesday, November 4, 2008

In Class Experiment with Red Cabbage Indicator

Today's in class lab was very fun. I knew you could use red cabbage as an acid-base indicator but never have actual used it. First, my group shredded some cabbage, added water, and microwaved it. When we had a vibrant purple colored indicator that we used to test various chemical products for pH. This was done by splitting up some indicator in beakers and by soaking paper in the indicator and drying them to produce pH paper. The procedure for making indicator is fairly simple and great for lessons.

After this experiment, I feel the need to incorporate this activity into my instruction. I would be taught to 9th and 10th graders. Again with the simplicity of the procedures and experiment would make it ideal for observing different pH of different chemicals. This experiment is fairly safe in that the only concern is getting purple on your shirt and the types of chemicals that I wish for my students to test. I had fun doing this lab for being as simple as it is. I want my students to experience what I experienced which accomplishing this lab. Fun, cheap, and educational this lab has it all, why not do it?

No comments: