Sunday, November 2, 2008

MIinds of Our Own

This video really stirred my thoughts why students don't grasp concepts taught to them immediately. Students coming in with their own view of how things work. In science, students that have incorrect notions of a specific concept will have a more difficult time understanding. I have never thought about this. Its a real eye opener due to the fact that in my educational career, I can't recall an example. Again, I enjoy watching these videos for the phenomenal examples. It was a real shocker to see that students that just graduated from MIT had difficulties lighting up a light bulb. Another experiment that got me was the image in the mirror. I have always thought that when you back away from a mirror you will be able to see your whole body. Again stirring my thoughts on instruction, I really need to know what existing knowledge students have and brainstorm on labs to disprove them. Students in the video didn't immediate believe what they were experiencing, but I feel that through experiment students will question their beliefs. The goal is to correct incorrect concepts within students minds. This video put another factor on to consider in teaching students.

No comments: